Thursday, February 02, 2006

WTF? I opened the Metro yesterday, and the first thing I saw was that they want to take Calculus out of the Ontario high school curriculum. As if our math curriculum wasn't enough of a joke already. I mean, the way it is now, kids get through "calculus" without ever taking an integral. It's not just ridiculous, it's downright offensive.

The people at Queen's Park are bitching about all the kids who are failing the grade 12 "functions" course and dropping out. Obviously, the only way to fix this is by making the course easier. Not surprising, seeing as how our government seems to think that most kids are retarded.

You know what? I'm tutoring a sixth-grader, and I have a far better idea for solving the problem of drop-outs: Stop treating kids like idiots, and stop wasting the most productive years of their lives on colouring! The grade six math textbook makes me want to vomit. Do you have any idea what kids in Europe and Asia are doing at that age level? Calculus, that's what! If kids, from the very beginning of school, have high standards and competent teachers, they'll have no trouble grasping complicated concepts in high school and in university.

If you want to bitch Dalton McGuinty out, here's his contact info. I, myself, as soon as I can bring myself to express what I'm feeling without using the words "Bitch out," will send him an e-mail.

You can read the article that was in The Star on this issue here.

Dalton.McGuinty@premier.gov.on.ca.

Dalton McGuinty, Premier
Legislative Building
Queen's Park
Toronto ON M7A 1A1

Fax: (416) 325-3745

Blog Archive